Sunday, November 16, 2014

Buying an Acoustic Guitar...for Our Brains

"It's good for our brains," says my husband, with the last word uttered in the way that the antagonists do in Plants vs. Zombies.

This was over dinner while we were discussing the impending Christmas season and the deluge of shopping that comes with it. We went to a mall that day, and I noticed him linger longer than usual at the music section. And now he's trying to convince me to buy an acoustic guitar, with a price that is nothing to sneeze at.


I've always believed that listening to music kind of make you like a brainiac to some extent. Of course, it won't make an Einstein out of people (otherwise, we should be blasting music all over the place). But despite what researches say, I listened to music while pregnant with the hope of helping our baby become smarter. And surprisingly, I actually liked the classical music referred to me by friends.

Apparently though, playing music is a different tune. A couple of researches say that learning to play a musical instrument does improve the brain significantly. Some of the skills improved are listening, linguistics, execution and memory. And just like that, I was sold into buying an acoustic guitar.


Now, like I said, the prices are nothing to sneeze at. The good thing is, Christmas isn't really as near yet as it seems. Hence, we still have time to read buying guides about the best, affordable acoustic guitars available. I'm also mulling over whether to purchase one online, because it's really more convenient.

That's not to say that my husband hasn't been eyeing something already. In fact, he's been raving about something called Taylor GS Mini (I think). And I guess it's a good one indeed -- after all, my husband actually used to play in high school. Or maybe he's just suggesting it because it sounds as if it's endorsed by Taylor Swift (whom I am liking right now).

Anyway, whether it's that brand or model or not, there's gonna be an acoustic guitar this coming Christmas. And who knows, if I get good at it, I might actually take it for a carol next year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment